Reading

I don't know whether to title this blog Reading or Libraries. I have been thinking a lot about how much I like to read. I used to read just for pleasure. I have spent years devouring novels in just a day or two. Then, when I started building my own business, I started really focusing on personal growth books and they have completely transformed my life and who I am. I am so grateful for BOOKS! A few words can completely lift my spirit and inspire me.

When I was young, we didn't do much in the summer. We didn't take many family vacations, I remember a few and they were often when we were looking for a place to move to and would go check out another state. Libraries are where I spent my time. I would join the stamp collecting classes, coin collecting and many more. Movie days at the library were a big deal! From the time I was 10, I loved authors such as Elizabeth Peters and Victoria Holt. In fact, I was so enamored with Victoria Holt that I went on to collect all of her novels and had a blast exploring used book stores in every place I would visit. I will blog about my love of used book stores later.

I went to the library the other day and checked out an Elizabeth Peter's novel just for old times sake. The library was bliss. Looking through the shelves took me back to my childhood and so many feelings went through me. I picked up my book the other night and started to read. What occurred to me is that the language is so much more advanced than what I read currently. I actually felt my brain engage and go back to my SAT words. I wonder when this change occurred that the books I have been reading currently don't use the more flowery language and words. I LOVE words, I love written words. I am a visual learner.

These are a few phrases or words in the first 2 pages of the book I am reading, "he dithered aimlessly" implacable, omnipresent. Here is a sentence, "The aristocratic villa withdrew, fastidiously, from the plebeian buildings which had sprung up around it." Do you see what I mean? I was reading these books at 10 years old! Something along the way has been lost. When I picked this up, I literally felt my brain engage. I was thinking, oh, yes, I know what these words mean, but I haven't used them in ages. I felt my spirit lift, felt my mind awaken with excitement to read something that I had to really think about to process. It feels great!

So, I encourage you to head to your local library and find something that challenges you a bit. I hope you have as much fun in the pages of a book as I do. And, I hope your summer brings you countless moment of peace, tranquility and joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invitation to my girlfriends

Grandpa Charles' visit